Donors Choose - Grizzly's Giving Page

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Way too many feeds?

I have a little technical dilemma.

I am now the proud owner of eight Feedburner feeds:

Changeling Turkey -- Which was the feed for my first blog, Changeling Turkey, then an extra (and largely unused) feed to my current blog. As of now, it's a feed of both my regular podcasts plus the Odiogo-voiced, computer text-to-speech "podcast" of my Blog text.

Life and Times of a Minor Local Celebrity -- The main feed for my Blog.

Grizzlys Growls Podcast-Only -- Just my original "Grizzly's Growls" podcast.

Hiber-Nation Forward -- The "Stories from the Hiber-Nation" feed, but in First-to-Last Order.

NaBloPoMo -- The National Blog Post Month Collective Feed. (By the way, I just added a Blogroll of all the Feed participants to my blog, if you're curious.)

Stories from the Hiber-Nation -- The regular newest-to-oldest "Stories" feed.

The NaNaPooPoo Network -- An attempt at a Podcast Community, so participating podcasters can combine their efforts to promote the one feed, "A rising tide raising all boats," as they say.

The dilemma is probably settled. I couldn't figure out what the heck to do with the Changeling Turkey feed. But I had a way to combine all the different audio into one feed that Feedburner wouldn't choke on. So I figured, what the heck, probably no one will care. There were only two remaining subscribers, anyway.

But the question is reasonable. What commitment do I owe to even a small audience like those two, to keep that feed pointed at the content they subscribed to? If I do make a change like the one I made, is is immoral and unkind, or just an inconvenience? The only input I know of I got from those individuals was their initial subscription. And the only way I have of asking them, is to post something on the Blog, which'd go to all the people on the blog, most of whom see no change at all.

Maybe the change will be useful for people, say, who can't see and/or want all my content in audio. The Odiogo thing keeps the text as the "show notes" of the audio. Or maybe it'll be useful for nothing whatsoever. But I worry about being fair in these things.

I recommend Odiogo for bloggers who want something to experiment with. There's only a male voice, but it's okay, I guess. I like to fiddle with technical things. Often, it's pointless. Sometimes I think maybe alla this brilliance will appear valuable, someday, and I'll get a job out of it.

I'm not holding my breath.

Griz

UPDATE: And now I've added yet another feed, for the International Listening Year project, which is why [I.L.Y.] is on the subject of this message -- for experimental purposes. (sigh)

No comments:

Post a Comment

GG20231124 -- Coming (Hopefully) Soon

Show Theme: "Hot Swing" from Kevin MacLeod Listen now?