Donors Choose - Grizzly's Giving Page

Monday, March 24, 2008

I feel like I owe it to someone

I have decided to grow a mullet.

A while back, I started wondering why they call them mullets. After
several Google searches, I found no actual explanation as to why they're
called that. That bugs me. It also bugs me, that people hate mullets,
without really knowing why.

I think people hate mullets, not because of how they look, not because of
any ugliness associated with that hair style, but because they're
associated with a particular sort of people that folks don't want to have
to respect.

Nobody wants to like working people who aren't obeisant. Nobody wants to
acknowledge a connection to the middle class, or even acknowledge their
existence when not in their "Stepin Fetchit" mode. Successful people are
rich people, and as long as you don't act like middle class working folks,
you don't have to acknowledge that's who you are and how you want to be.

Mullets are style of hair one wears when one works for a living, doesn't
mind longer hair, and doesn't feel too compelled to fit the standard model
of upstanding individuals. In other words, people like me.

Used to be the Love Generation. Now it's the Working Generation. Go
figure.

"Almost cut my hair, just the other day,
It was gettin' kinda long, I coulda said that it just wasn't my way,
But I didn't, and I wonder why, I keep lettin' my Freak Flag fly....

But I feel like I owe it to someone."

6 comments:

  1. Mullet to me says that person picked a "look" in high school and quit, and I kind of associate it with someone who peaked in high school... or just doesn't want the hassle of trying something new. Or feels that updating the look is for the young folk. On women, anyway. The guys I know don't seem to think too much about their hair, except when the honey's hair gets too long and sticks out, he complains about "Bozo" hair.

    My rambly thoughts on the subject. Not that I'm a style maven or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, to be completely honest, I just wanted to try growing my hair long again, and whenever I grow my hair long it turns into a mullet anyway, usually combined with "Bozo" hair. So I'm growing a mullet. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well in that case, fly your flag high, brother! :)

    I go back and forth every few years between really short hair and hair as long as it will go, and there's always an awkward stage in the middle when it's growing out that it's just bleh but caps aren't really an option so I just pretend it's supposed to look like that...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suppose I could post a picture of my new mullet, with the Bozo hair, but I wouldn't want to frighten small children who might come across it by accident. I look okay, but one gets the impression any pictures of me should be both front and profile, accompanied by a number held under my chin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh heh. :)

    Perhaps it's more of a shag? I caught the tail end of Across the Universe last night, his hair was long in back but more layered on the sides. From what I could see.

    I was going to observe hairstyles at work, but apart from the first three guys I saw (all very short) I totally forgot.

    Thinking way too much about man hair now. But I'd consider calling it a shag style.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh hey, my google account totally works!

    Isabellastella aka skizzerfitz

    ReplyDelete

GG20231124 -- Coming (Hopefully) Soon

Show Theme: "Hot Swing" from Kevin MacLeod Listen now?