Donors Choose - Grizzly's Giving Page

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Flash in the Pan

I do all my browsing with Firefox.  I still have IE here somewhere, but the only reason I use any part of IE is as part of IE Tab in Firefox, to see what my own webpages look like in IE.  And with Firefox, I always use NoScript.

I also, as I've mentioned, listen to more than 120 different podcasts.  So when the "This Week In Law" podcast mentioned the IP Colloquium podcast, I had to go subscribe to check it out.  And what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a completely blank screen.

Seems the entire IP Colloquium website, every page I looked at, was entirely done in Flash.  Everything.  Without allowing Flash, you can't actually be sure what the website is about.  And you certainly can't go there to subscribe to the podcast without Flash -- even though RSS has no need for Flash.  I found this profoundly annoying and rather disturbing.  If I had been referred to the site by a less reputable source, I'd have left immediately.  But instead, I temporarily allowed the Flash scripts, found the subscribe link (a simple Feedburner feed), and closed the page -- never to return, as far as I'm concerned.

How is it that an apparent IP expert, someone you'd assume would know about technology, wouldn't know that such a site design is in really bad taste at best?

Oh, well.

Griz



No comments:

Post a Comment

GG20231124 -- Coming (Hopefully) Soon

Show Theme: "Hot Swing" from Kevin MacLeod Listen now?