Donors Choose - Grizzly's Giving Page

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

NaNaPooPoo, or whatever.

So, I signed up the other day for National Podcast Post Month, or NaPodPoMo. The name threw me, at first -- wondered what "NaPooPooMo" might be. (Need new glasses.)

NaPodPoMo is an idea inspired by NaNoWriMo, the National Novel Writing Month, I think that is. Writers pledge to write X thousand words every day for an entire month. Arguably, one could complete a novel in a month that way. And writers support each other in meeting their goals every day, which is rather hard, like anything else you have to decide to do on your own.

National Podcast Post Month requires a podcaster (like me) to produce at least one podcast every day, for all 31 days in November. On the face of it, this seems like a Good Thing. Podcasting is somewhat related to writing, depending on what you're podcasting. Some of it IS writing, of course.

Now I'm having second thoughts, at least on how to do this right.

Do I do much shorter shows, so I can manage to come up with 31 days of worthwhile (cough, cough) content? The case could be made that my shows are too long anyway, so it'd be an improvement, nu?

Would it count if I did 31 episodes of "Stories from the Hiber-Nation?" That would only require recording and editing; I wouldn't need to actually write that many shows. But that's not doing 31 days of my original "Grizzly's Growls" podcast. That would -definitely- require shorter shows, and at least one IDSL tune for each show.

And do I get to count both "Grizzly's Growls" and "Stories from the Hiber-Nation" shows? I'd think so, but I want to abide by the spirit of NaNaPooPoo, or whatever. (I think NaNoWriMo sounds much better and is easier to say. Am I wrong? I think it should be called NaPodWriMo, because podcasting requires writing, too, I think.)

And considering my next Grizzly's Growls will be show 70, I'd be producing Episode 100 some time during NaPodPoMo. Is that a Good Thing, or a Bad Thing?

Given I normally have no idea what I'm going to talk about on GG, doesn't that necessarily reduce the quality of the shows? Is producing 31 days of Mindless Drivel sufficient to the spirit of the event?

Don't ask me, I ave no idea. Anybody have any thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. in NaNoWriMo the authors are allowed to do their edits post deadline, which encourages large amounts of drivel. Podcasts, once published, don't have the same luxury. Not sure what the benefit is of trying to encourage people to post volume over quantity as this project seems to be doing.
    Of course, the point is to get new podcasters past the podcast equivalent of Hemingways white bull, and pull those whose projects have floundered back from the abyss. I don't think people who have published regularly are the targets of this campaign. But, that doesn't mean you shouldn't take it as a challenge. Challenges are good. Set yourself some parameters. You need not produce a standard format GG podcast, you can do shorter things. No need for an IDSL entry for each podcast, but there should be a few. Just use the time to experiment a bit. At the end of the month you may have found some things you want to incorporate, and toss the rest..

    Good luck,
    phred

    ReplyDelete

GG20231124 -- Coming (Hopefully) Soon

Show Theme: "Hot Swing" from Kevin MacLeod Listen now?