Donors Choose - Grizzly's Giving Page

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

This could be hard...

As far as I can tell, it's official: I'll be attending the Media Studies and Production program at Lake Superior College, just up the hill from me here in Duluth.

I have all the Financial Aid paperwork done, so funding is at least applied for, and probably will be granted.  I have an additional, special funding source because I'm considered a Displaced Worker.

So I should be starting school next Monday.  Which is good.

However...

The school has decided to make the entire campus smoke-free
.  Indoors and outdoors, parking lots and all.  If you're caught smoking in your own car in the parking lot, you're subject to a $50 fine and "a hold placed on your record."  Whatever that means.

I've been smoking since 1978, starting in Basic Training.  I'm 50 years old.  I'm not likely to quit.

I also have Asperger Syndrome to cope with.  I get stressed by changes in environment, meeting new people, crowds, noise, all that stuff.  And now my erstwhile school wants to take away one of my main stress relievers.   I can't step outside on my breaks and have a smoke.  I have to completely leave the campus to do so.

This was already going to be hard.   Their draconian decision will make it much harder.

Thanks guys.  How can I ever repay you?

(sigh)



No comments:

Post a Comment

GG20231124 -- Coming (Hopefully) Soon

Show Theme: "Hot Swing" from Kevin MacLeod Listen now?