Donors Choose - Grizzly's Giving Page

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Blood Money

Periodically, when I don't have enough money left from my paycheck, I donate plasma to get a bit of cash. Did that today, in fact.

Usually, I'll wear a long-sleeve shirt when I go to donate, so I don't get looks or questions about the bandage in the crook of my elbow. I guess I've been a bit embarrassed by being that broke. Sure, they say there's a charitable aspect to it, but to me, it's all about the money.

And I think, too, part of my trouble with it is having started donating plasma in the late 1970s, as a stop-gap cash source during vocational school. I didn't finish school. I didn't finish any significant amount of school in the past 30 years. But I'm still donating plasma, because I'm still short of cash.

Today, I walked out of the Plasma place in a short-sleeve teeshirt, and my backpack with the plasma guys' company name printed on it.

No looks, no questions, no problem.

Most of the time, it seems, shame is one's own. Most folks don't notice or have reason to care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

GG20231124 -- Coming (Hopefully) Soon

Show Theme: "Hot Swing" from Kevin MacLeod Listen now?