Donors Choose - Grizzly's Giving Page

Thursday, April 24, 2008

What's it like to be you?

I'm thinking about changing my podcast's promo recording.

I recall someone once quoting Connie Chung as saying something to the effect of, "The best interviews boil down to one question: What's it like to be you?"

I can see her point, assuming it was her point; I haven't been able to find the quote again, or even where I found it last time. And I'm thinking, that's what my show's about.

In my current intro, I say my show is "about... 20 minutes, sometimes more." But it's also about what it's like to be me. I'm self-diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome, based on my current circumstances, but more on my life history, as I remember it. So, what's it like to be a guy with minimal social skills, who takes on a hobby like Karaoke, that always takes place in a social environment? What's it like to be an intensely private person in an emphatically public place like a karaoke bar? What's it like to be surrounded by crowds, and noise, and smoke, and bright lights, and deep shadow, when all those things tend to be anathema to someone like me?

For that matter, what's it like for a very private person to take on such a public activity, as podcasting, or even blogging? Granted, I've been coping with my own limitations for nearly 50 years now. One can accommodate and adjust. But what's that like?

That's really what the show's about, music and book reviews notwithstanding. And I think the promo ought to reflect that. Make sense to you?

Now I'll wait, breathlessly, for the comment from Connie Chung. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

GG20231124 -- Coming (Hopefully) Soon

Show Theme: "Hot Swing" from Kevin MacLeod Listen now?