Donors Choose - Grizzly's Giving Page

Thursday, January 6, 2011

So where the hell was I? UPDATED

UPDATE:  So now I find it.  Naturally.  It was a blogpost.  And shockingly... I don't actually read blogs much. 
     .....     .....     .....     .....     .....
Just heard a podcast mentioning that JC Hutchins stopped podcasting.  I hadn't heard, and was a bit bewildered.  I mentioned this on Twitter -- and Hutch seemed a bit hurt that I hadn't heard, and seemed to think I was being cruel in my comments about it.  I think it's more likely an artifact of 140 characters; I'd be tweeting for the next couple days to be understood.

First of all, true, I am sort of disappointed that he isn't podcasting anymore.  I liked several, but not all, of his books -- not crazy about anything resembling horror.  I simply would never have been aware of his books without podcasting.  I haven't actually sat down and read a dead-tree book other than textbooks in several years, and frankly, reading textbooks in school this last year was kind of a freaky experience, as if I didn't really remember how to read a book.  I'm all about the audiobooks now.  This is, in part, because my eyesight isn't what it was. 

I'm all about podcasts, too, maybe too much so.  Last time I counted I was subscribed to over 200 podcasts including audiobooks.  I often fall asleep with my podcasts playing.  This sometimes results in rather disturbing (not -that- kind of disturbing) dreams about podcasts and podcasters, including a dreamed conversation with Mur Lafferty, which turned out to be her reading on Escape Pod.  Funny thing, she looked completely different in the dream, and I knew that wasn't what she looks like, but I still knew it was her.  (Nothing inappropriate, just the kind of friendly conversation I hope we could actually have at a Con someday.)  Then I woke up.  I do hate to unsubscribe from anything, but I can't say I've actually heard all the episodes of all the podcasts to which I'm subscribed. 

Add to that, Mr. Hutchins stopped podcasting way way back, during what was the busiest time of my schooling, when I wasn't listening to many podcasts anyway, and producing only a few of my own, sad to say.  I graduated from school, got a diploma, and remained unemployed, so I'm not sure I wouldn't have been better off skipping school and not skipping the podcast episodes.  (I'm kidding, Mom.)

I don't resent JC Hutchins leaving podcasting; people do stop alla time, after all.  It's still an open question if I have quit myself.  If my tone was at all snappish, I apologize.  It was in response to a rather snide comment suggesting I wasn't a "dedicated fan" because I missed his swan song.  I was and am a fan, but I have that life thing I've also been trying to succeed at.  I wouldn't say I approve, either, because I don't really know his reasons, and I only know he quit because of a passing comment on someone else's podcast.  Went off to his website, tried to figure out how to find where he explained it all and waved bye-bye, and couldn't find it.  So I commented on Twitter. and apparently engendered some bad feelings.  Still haven't found that last podcast, and still hope to.  It's entirely his decision, but I'm curious.  He says things well -- you may have noticed -- and I'd be interested to see how he'd say this.

I certainly wish him all the best, and I strongly suspect that's what he'll get, because he's a very talented guy who's gotten good opportunities to exercise those talents.  I can think of a half-dozen different very good reasons he might leave podcasting.  I was simply wondering about the actual reasons.

Further deponent sayeth not.

Griz



2 comments:

  1. Dear Griz,

    I appreciate your supportive comments regarding my talents.

    To be clear: Folks who have been subscribed to my podcast feed know that I podcasted consistently throughout 2006 and 2007, released 20 interview-style podcasts and more than 30 "7th Son: Obsidian" podcasts in 2008, and released 30 podcast fiction episodes (and even more update and interview episodes) in 2009. I also released several interviews in my podcast feed in 2010.

    Folks who follow my Twitter, Facebook and blog learned of my retirement from releasing Free podcast fiction the very night I announced it in late February 2010.

    Further, your comment -- "I only know he quit because of a passing comment on someone else's podcast" -- is completely false. I suggest re-evaluating your sources of information.

    You can read the post that describes why I left podcasting at my site here: http://bit.ly/dfnWSM

    You may also listen to an interview I posted in my feed, as recently as two weeks ago, here: http://bit.ly/eSUyTb

    ReplyDelete
  2. J.C.,
    Let me go straight to the middle here... The part where you say that -my- comment that -I- only knew you quit because of a passing comment on someone else's podcast" is completely true. Your points are also completely true, that there were dozens of other ways I -could- have found out. But the only way -I- knew was because of hearing that one comment -- not because you didn't make it public, not because you weren't on oodles of other podcasts, not because you didn't do a bunch of other stuff in a bunch of other places. -I- only found out about it from the passing comment.

    This isn't talking about what you said where. This is about all that I missed, because I had a million other things going on in my life.

    I thought I had made that completely clear. And I thought it would also be clear that I was in no way attacking you, so that you would know there was nothing against which to defend yourself. That's why this was a blogpost, not a Tweet, because I though more words would be more clear, since I had apparently somehow offended you on Twitter, without intending to.

    I tried to kid on Twitter, and instead gave offense. Apparently I suck at that. I tried to clarify here, and once again instead gave offense. Apparently I also suck at this.

    So I'm stopping now. It won't happen again.

    ReplyDelete

GG20231124 -- Coming (Hopefully) Soon

Show Theme: "Hot Swing" from Kevin MacLeod Listen now?